Friday 29 June 2012

And so it really begins...

Well, we are on our way. Sitting in Auckland right now and still wondering when everything will seem "real". I keep thinking "When we fly home, I can watch this movie" or I find myself thinking and trying to plan our vacation. Trying to figure out what we should do, and how long we have to do it... And then I realize... We aren't actually on vacation, we are moving, so the end of our "trip" is in two years, not two weeks or two months. It is so strange!

I can't even sum up how I'm feeling in words. Everyone asks "Are you excited?" and I don't really know what to say... There are so many emotions and not one of them is really in the forefront. I'm excited, scared, worried, happy, sad, nervous... It probably depends on the precise time that you ask me! I suppose the overwhelming emotion prior to leaving Calgary was a bit sad. I mean, I've never left Calgary before, and by that I mean, I've never left my parents and family before. So that presents it's own unique set of challenges for me. Luckily, the world is a smaller place due to technology like Facetime and Skype, and I am so very thankful for that. We also had to say a "so long for now" to the dog. It had us both a misty eyed (me more so, but that's par for the course). He knew something was up when we left for the airport, didn't really want to go in his crate, and gave us the puppy dog eyes (see previous posts for photo evidence).

And then there's my family. Tuesday night was rough. I was, to put it nicely, a wreck. We had a big hug session in the drizzle on Stephen Avenue after the "last supper" so to speak. I did a bit better at the airport, but it was definitely tough. It helps that Meghan, my sistah, has plans in the works to come visit in October (hooray! yahoo! yippee!) and Mom and Dad are already talking about February or March. And we should have the pupperton by December. So, that helps.

Anyways, looking forward to getting to our apartment in Brisbane, then we can relax just a little, until we have to start our home search, get our drivers licenses, figure out how to purchase the car that we have arranged, await our air and sea shipments and so on. Should be fun, especially since Alan's starting work pretty much next week. And I am going to learn tap dancing. Haha!

Hooroo for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment