Monday 5 August 2013

July Update!

G'Day mates!

Sunset over the Brisbane river from our balcony
First off... Where did the month of July disappear to? Holy smokes! I can't believe we're already into August. This summer/winter is just flying by.



Speaking of seasons... It's very strange to live somewhere that doesn't have much of a variety when it comes to seasons. It doesn't matter if it's winter, summer, spring or fall; the grass stays green, the trees have leaves, there always seems to be a flower in bloom. The daily high is around 23 degrees celsius, and that's in the middle of winter. I find myself reaching for a jumper or cardigan at night, and I've recently purchased some nice cozy slippers to wear around the apartment.

Yup, I think I'm going soft.

You still won't find me out wearing a wooly jacket, beanie, gloves, and a scarf (even though I did recently purchase a winter coat... But it was a massive deal, and it's a lovely coat) although I do find myself layering up at a higher temperature than I used to. The fact that we live in a place where we can wear shorts and thongs (flip flops) every day of the year is both very strange, and very wonderful at the same time. I think this lack of seasonal variety is a big part of the reason that I'm so shocked that we've been here for over a year! Where are the fall colours? What happened to a cold, snowy winter? (You'll probably want to kill me when I tell you that I really want to go on a cold weather holiday just so I can wear the aforementioned lovely winter coat that I purchased at a heavily discounted price. Go ahead, I would want to kill me too). The state slogan, up until a few years ago, was 'Queensland - Beautiful one day, perfect the next' and I'm inclined to agree. 

Here are a few pictures from the past few weeks. 


My cousin Colin came to visit, so we headed up to Mt Coot-tha for the afternoon.
Prior to this, I had only ever been up here at night, so it was nice to see the view in the daylight!
It's a scenic spot
It's not Haagen Daaz, it's Norgen-Vaas!

We took our cameras over to Kangaroo Point to take in the sunset the other night. Jaspah came along as well.
Trying to be artistic.
Is it working?
It was a beautiful evening for a photo walk.
Jaspah really wanted to abseil (rappel) down the Kangaroo Point Cliffs and go swimming.




My favourite shot of the evening. (I like the purple tree, that's flowering, in the middle of winter. What did I tell you about the seasons?)
Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! And yes VERY ARTISTIC! I love the purple J-trees (I can never remember their name), too. Very jealous that you still get to enjoy them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks for the artistic validation! I can't wait for jacaranda season. It's coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photographs, very nice blog to read and know more about this city..

    Turkey Tour Packages

    ReplyDelete